Document Authentication Service

***NYC and Washington DC embassy currently do not offer expedited processing for document authentication.  Standard processing is 5-7 business days. 

The Chinese Embassy and Consulates authenticate documents that are executed in the United States and will be used in China. Types of documents include: birth/death certificates, power of attorney, marriage certificates, diplomas, adoption papers, Single Status Affidavit, business licenses, etc. Document authentication is also called legalization or certification. It is a multi-level, multi-step process to get authenticated documents. To understand why it works the way it does, please click here to learn more. Read the steps of the document authentication process below to learn how to take advantage of our convenient document authentication services. 

Notary Public Secretary of State Chinese Embassy

1. Notarize your documents

All non-government issued documents must be notarized by a local notary public, including power of attorney, adoption papers, single status affidavit, etc. For government issued documents, such as birth/death certificate, marriage certificate, business license, go to Step 2.

2. County Authentication
Documents notarized in AL, GA, HI, KY, MD, NY, and TN must be authenticated by the county before being sent to CVSC. County authentication can be obtained from a circuit clerk, circuit court, county clerk, probate judge, or   superior court clerk. CVSC does not provide county notarized document authentication services.           

3. Get your documents certified by the Secretary of State's office

All documents must be certified by the Secretary of State’s office in the state where the document was issued.

4. Get your documents authenticated by US Department of State through CVSC

Documents issued in certain states must be authenticated by the US Department of State after certification by local secretary of state’s office. These states include Washington DC, Delaware, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Montana, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia and Wyoming. CVSC can help with this process for a fee.

5. Get your documents authenticated by Chinese Embassy/Consulates

After certification by the Secretary of State’s office and/or the US Department of State, your documents can be authenticated by the Chinese Embassy/Consulate that holds consular jurisdiction over the state where the document is certified.

6. Place your order and get detailed instructions and application form

Click here to view detailed instructions, including how to prepare your documents, what forms to fill out and relevant processing fees. All instructions must be strictly followed when preparing for our Chinese document authentication service.



Need Assistance?

Our team is at your service to help you with your passport and visa issues, or to answer any related questions


You can also find answers to frequently asked questions on our FAQ page