Name Change Passport Instructions


1. Gather and prepare the following documents:

A) Completed US passport application

Form DS-5504 if current passport is LESS than one year old.
Form DS-82 if current passport is MORE than one year old. Follow Passport Renewal Instruction if Form DS-82 is used.

Click here to complete and create your passport name change form online. After you’ve provided all required information, click the “Create Form” button and your application form will appear completed on your screen for you to print out and sign.

B) Your Current U.S. passport
C) Proof of Name Change

For a name change on US passport, you must submit an original marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order showing the change of name. The name change document must bear the official seal of the issuing authority. Uncertified copies or notarized documents cannot be accepted. All documents will be returned to you with your passport after the US passport name change.

D) Passport Photos

Two identical 2×2 color photos with a white background; Photo must be taken at a professional passport photo service such as Walgreen, CVS or Kinko’s.

E) Letter of Authorization

Fill out and sign two copies of the Letter of Authorization.  The letter is included in the PDF packet generated after completing the online order. This document will authorize CVSC to submit and obtain a new passport on your behalf.

F) Proof of Departure

You must provide one of the following:

  • Copy of flight reservation

  • Computer generated travel itinerary issued by travel agent

Dates on travel itinerary must match those on the application form. 


G) US Government Fees
  • $60.00 in check or money order payable to US Department of State

a. Write applicant’s full name and date of birth on the check or money order.
b. Personal checks must show a printed address. Temporary or starter checks are not acceptable.
c. Make a copy of the check and include it in the package outside the sealed envelope (not applicable to passport renewals).

2. Send Your Application to CVSC

To receive the US passport, send above documents along with our Order Form to one of the following addresses (please send the material to our office nearest to you; but be rest assured that your application will be processed no matter which of our offices receives it) – For Rush or Express Service, you must send FedEx Priority Overnight or UPS A.M. Delivery only:

Residents of the following states, please send to our Houston office:

Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nevada, New Mexico, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, Pacific Islands, Puerto Rico, Texas, and Wisconsin.

China Visa Service Center
Attn: Passport Department
711 W. Alabama St
Houston, TX 77006

Residents of the following states, please send to our Washington DC office:

Washington DC, Alaska, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Idaho, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Vermont, Washington, and Wyoming.

China Visa Service Center
Attn: Passport Department
2233 Wisconsin Avenue NW, Suite 301
Washington, DC 20007


Need Assistance?

Our team is at your service to help you with your passport and visa issues, or to answer any related questions


You can also find answers to frequently asked questions on our FAQ page