China Visa Types

US Passport FAQ

  • What is a US passport?

    A US passport is an internationally recognized travel document carried by US citizens attesting to the identity and US citizenship of the bearer.

  • What is a passport card?

    A passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be used to re-enter the US at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by land or by sea.

  • How fast can I get a passport?

    With our service, you can possibly get a passport in as little as 24 hours from the time we receive your documents. We offer several levels of service, 1-2-day rush service, 3-4-day express service, 5-7-day priority service and 8+-day standard service.

  • Do I get my old passport back when I renew it?

    Yes, your old passport is returned to you unless it is deemed damaged or mutilated by the Passport Agency.

  • What is an acceptance agent?

    Acceptance Agents are authorized by the government to witness the signing of your DS-11 application and initiate its execution. They are generally located at Federal offices such as Post Offices, Court Houses and some Libraries.

  • How long is a passport valid and when should I renew it?

    If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years. If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years. If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met. If you were 16 or older when the passport was issued, your passport can be renewed. If you were 15 or younger when the passport was issued, your passport cannot be renewed, and you must go through the New Passport application process.

  • What do I do if my passport is lost, stolen or mutilated?

    You can get a new passport. In addition to the standard application form, DS-11, you will also have to fill out a DS-64 form, indicating that your passport was lost, stolen or mutilated.

  • Do I need a passport to travel to Canada or Mexico?

    Yes. Since June 2009, visitors to Mexico and Canada have been required to have a passport or a passport card as proof of U.S. citizenship, whether you travel air, car, boat, or by foot. Cruise ship travelers are subject to the same requirements.

  • Are there special requirements for passport photos?

    There are many requirements when taking a passport photo. You should have your photo taken by a professional passport photo service. This service is available in Walgreen, CVS, Kinko's, etc.

  • How old must you be to possess a passport?

    All U.S. citizens (including infants) must possess their own valid passport when traveling internationally.

  • What is an authorization letter?

    A signed authorization allows CVSC to represent you at the Passport Agency and process your passport documents.

  • What do I do if I owe back child support?

    If you owe $2,500 or more in child support, you are not eligible to receive a U.S. passport. You should make arrangements to pay the state where child support is owed BEFORE you submit your application for a U.S. passport. Once payment is arranged, it may take 2-3 weeks before the Passport Agency is permitted to process your application. Passport Agency has no information concerning an individual's child support obligations and has no authority to take action until HHS removes your name from its list.